School bells will soon be ringing and the big yellow school buses will soon be rolling.
The JISD Transport-ation Department would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to please be aware that they will be sharing the road with the buses.
Safety is our highest priority, but we will need the help of our fellow drivers to insure the safe transport of our kids.
Please keep the following items in mind:
• Yellow flashing lights means the bus is slowing down and about to stop. Red flashing lights means the bus has stopped.
• All drivers must stop for buses while the red lights are flashing and the Stop sign is out (failure to do so can result in a fine of up to $1000.00).
Please be aware that children will be getting on or off the bus at that time and sometimes they may not be watching out for cars.
Children may also be walking in front of the bus and crossing the road. Failure to stop for the flashing red lights could end in a tragic car/child accident.
• Buses will take up more room on the road than a car so when you meet them, please allow them plenty of space.
• Please have patience with the buses because a bus’s rate of travel is slower than a car’s and they make frequent stops.
• The buses will follow a consistent route and time schedule so you may want to change your morning travel a little to decrease your chance of meeting a bus.
• During the mornings, please be aware that children will be waiting for the bus on the side of the roadways.
• Remember that all buses are required to stop at railroad crossings.
• Also, be aware of the reduced speed limits in the school zones and remember that the buses will be turning in and out of the school driveways.
With everyone’s help, we can successfully transport our most precious cargo – our children.