Jacksonville Daily Progress
In response to Carol Stanfills’ remarks of February 2nd concerning the BSA, I would like to submit the following points to restate and clarify my position:
1. Most Boy Scouts are not homosexual, which means scouting is not for a ‘select few’, it is for the majority of scouts.
2. I agree with Ms. Stanfill that it is tragic and unfortunate that some men abuse the privilege of being a scout volunteer, but in reality, those men are few.
3. Referring to the lesbian mother and ‘her place’…yes, I think she should be ‘shouted down’; her minority position should not dictate the policy of an established organization beloved by millions. If she and others like her want their children to enjoy the benefits of scouting, let them start their own organization, don’t try to tear down one that has guidelines it disagrees with.
4. Tolerance has been elevated to a religious fervor in America and the results are all around us. Anything goes; no one wants to call sin, sin anymore. Right is called wrong and morality is almost non-existent. I believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God. It teaches us to love. I do not hate homosexuals, even though I despise the sin. I have befriended and grieved with many AIDS patients and their families, seeing first-hand the devastation wrought by this choice. Many believe the lie perpetrated by activists groups that ‘gays are born, not made’. This is a deadly lie, it is a choice.
5. I don’t waste a lot of time thinking ‘pious thoughts’… no, I am not perfect, not by a long shot, but I’ll keep on trying because that is what I’m commanded to do…to strive for excellence and ‘be conformed to His image’.
6. Jesus said, “Broad is the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it, but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life and only a few find it.” Matt.7:13&14. Those are His words, not mine. Either Jesus was who he said he was, the Son of God or he was a madman. His statement is narrow, but it’s open to all; only too many reject it and go their own way. There is really only one ‘problem we are facing’ today in our communities and our nation, it is rampant sin. It doesn’t matter how you paint or dress it up, it is still sin.
7. Yes, God made us in His image. He loves all of humanity. God doesn’t condemn anyone; people condemn themselves because of their unbelief. God is a God of love, but he is also a just God, pure and holy. You have a right to your opinion Ms. Stanfill, I respect everyone’s freedom of speech, but don’t accuse me of a ‘witch hunt’ or of not loving my fellow humans, it is the foundation of my faith and the standard I try to live by.