Jacksonville Daily Progress
CHEROKEE COUNTY — 1. Lighten ingredients in your desserts. Use a low-calories sweetener in place of all or part of the sugar.
2. Use egg whites or nonfat egg substitute in place of a whole eggs. Use ¼ cup of egg whites or nonfat egg substitute for every whole egg and save 41 calories and 5 grams of fat.
3. Use Grape-Nut cereal in place of half the nuts and save 320 calories and 71 grams of fat per cup.
4. Reduce chocolate chips and nuts by 25%
5. Use fat-free whipped cream in place of regular whipped cream and save 30 calories and 4.5 grams of fat for each 2 Tablespoon serving.
6. Cut everything into smaller pieces: Slicing pies into 10 slices instead of 8 reduces calories by 20%; cutting into 12 pieces, versus 8, reduces the calories by 33%. Also, cut cakes, brownies and bar cookies into bite-sized pieces
7. Offer a variety of fresh fruit for dessert.
8. Feature hot beverages with dessert: Make your own flavored coffees by adding ground cinnamon, pure vanilla or almond extract to the grounds before brewing; use fat-free half and half or fat-free whipped cream, orange zest, cinnamon sticks or calorie-free sweetener.
Compiled by Wendi L. Green, Cherokee County Extension Agent, Family and Consumer Sciences Division