CHEROKEE COUNTY — 1. How many excess calories does it take to gain one pound? A) 1500; B) 2500, C) 3500; D) 4500
2. Skipping meals is a good idea to conserve calories. A) True; B) False
3. How many grams of fat will you avoid by removing the skin from a 3-ounce serving of turkey? A) 1; B) 4 C) 6.6
4. What does a 3-ounce portion of turkey look like in relation to size? A) deck of cards, B) one set of dice C) Man’s shoe
5. These holiday treats are fun to bake, but can really add up in calories because it is hard to eat just one.
6. According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, you should fill up about 2/3 of your plate with: A) plant foods such as whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruit B) lean meat or fish or C) dessert
7. Eating plenty of ____ and ___ will help you eat less fat and more fiber. You will feel fuller on fewer calories.
8. According to the National Weight Control Registry, people who lost 30 pounds or more and kept it off for at least a year did one of the following on a regular basis: A) exercise on a regular basis, B) watched TV, C) followed fad diets
Answers: 1. C, 2. B(skipping meals will lead to over-eating), 3. C, 4. A, 5. Cookies(NOTE: an unfrosted sugar cookie is usually your lowest calorie choice), 6. A, 7. Fruits & vegetables, 8. A
Source: Communicating Food for Health, Nov/Dec 2000