Daily Progress, Jacksonville, TX

Local News

February 12, 2013

Family narrowly escapes carbon monoxide deaths over weekend

JACKSONVILLE —  A local family barely escaped death Sunday evening after a leak inside their home exposed them to deadly carbon monoxide gas for an extended period of time, city officials said.

During this Sunday night incident, White said three children and their mother fell victim to the prolonged leak in a residence the 800 block of South Pineda. The incident has prompted authorities to urge residents to buy carbon monoxide detectors for their homes.

"You'll never know when you're being affected by carbon monoxide," explained Jacksonville Fire Chief Paul White. "It attaches itself to your red blood cells and starves you of oxygen. … If this family had just gone to bed they wouldn't have awakened. They would have died for sure."

City Manager Mo Raissi also described the incident as a very close call.

"Something in their house was releasing the gas," Raissi said. "It needs to be fixed before anyone can go back inside."

White said a dangerous level of carbon monoxide would be something in the territory of 60 parts per million. This family was exposed to a measurement somewhere in the area of 500 parts per million,

"This was very powerful gas," White said. "These kids were unresponsive when we first got there and the mother was not all there. We immediately sent all of them to the hospital.”

Authorities aren't sure how the mother — in her impaired state — had the wherewithal to move her children outside about 8:30 p.m. Sunday. But by the time authorities had arrived, she had managed to turn off the gas and contact the owner of this rental property, who was on his was over there.

"This kind of thing happens every winter," the fire chief said. "It happens usually from a faulty heater. The gas is odorless so you just feel weak and dizzy and maybe even like throwing up."

According to the Mayo Clinic webpage, carbon monoxide poisoning is caused by exposure to too much of the odorless, colorless, and tasteless carbon monoxide gas. As the fire chief said, such gas severely hinders the ability to absorb oxygen and can lead to serious tissue damage and ultimately death, the website states.

"Carbon monoxide is produced by appliances and other devices that generate combustion fumes, such as those that burn gas or other petroleum products, wood and other fuels," according to the website. "The danger occurs when too much carbon monoxide accumulates in a contained, poorly ventilated space."

White recommends homeowners employ a carbon monoxide detector (otherwise known as a "CO detector"), to detect the presence of the carbon monoxide gas and therefore prevent poisoning. They can be found at area stores. One notable online manufacturer is http://www.espsafetyinc.com.

"You can buy a carbon monoxide detector at any WalMart," White said. "I would highly recommend it."

1
Text Only
Local News
  • RuskProtestMain.tif Rusk protest highlights views concerning border issues

    Several Texans gathered Saturday in Rusk -- not only to protest the recent federally-sponsored flood of illegal immigrants into the U.S., but to demand state officials to do something about it.
    Nearly 20 concerned citizens gathered at the intersection of U.S. highways 69 and 84 Saturday afternoon, waving flags and hand-lettered signs asking for secure borders and better action on the matter.

    July 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • RISD board mulls $16M budget

    Local school board members are considering a $16,671,955 proposed general fund budget for Rusk ISD's upcoming fiscal year – which begins Sept. 1 – but are nowhere near close to adopting the budget, said Lesa Jones, assistant district superintendent for finance and operation.

    July 22, 2014

  • National Night Out to return to Jacksonville

    National Night Out ( NNO) festivities will be returning  to Jacksonville this year.
    Jacksonville Police Crime Prevention Officer Detective Tonya Harris said all Jacksonville residents are encouraged to participate this year by sponsoring or attending a National Night Out party on Oct. 7.

    July 22, 2014

  • Tina_Baggett.tif Gallatin resident seeks help with expenses after diagnosis

    A Gallatin woman and longtime employee at Prosperity Bank is about to undergo the first stage of procedures for stem cell harvesting.
    Tina Baggett, 51, became unable to work in February due to complications from multiple myeloma, a cancer of the bone marrow.

    July 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • Bullard group rallies behind alcohol petition

    A petition calling for a city-wide city election this November that would make all areas of Bullard wet, including those which fall in Cherokee County, has proven successful, as more than the required 221 signatures have been collected.

    July 19, 2014

  • mom and kids_6776.tif Jacksonville woman celebrates 100th birthday surrounded by family, friends

    Ethel Terry, a lifelong resident of Jacksonville, celebrated her 100th birthday with an open house on July 15 at the Twin Oaks Care Facility in Jacksonville.

    July 19, 2014 1 Photo

  • Cemetery grass.tif Extra rainfall produces more abundant lawns, extends hay season

    Steady periods of rain this summer have been a homeowner's dream, as lawns appear more lush than in previous years.
    But for city workers, that same growth has taken on nightmarish proportions.
    “It's a maintenance nightmare,” said Ben Briley, director of the City of Jacksonville Parks and Recreation Department.

    July 19, 2014 1 Photo

  • Cherokee County arrests: July 8-14

    The Daily Progress will publish a list of arrests from the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office on a weekly basis.

    July 19, 2014

  • Detective recovers nearly $7K in case

    When a Jacksonville woman became a victim of a scam, Jacksonville Police Detective Greg Compton stopped at nothing to solve the case.
    In early January, Compton said a neighbor of a 94-year-old woman reported that someone had “taken advantage of her.”

    July 17, 2014

  • Bullard ISD names interim leader

    During a meeting Monday night, the Bullard ISD Board of Trustees appointed Joe Dan Lee as Interim Superintendent.

    July 17, 2014