Daily Progress, Jacksonville, TX

July 3, 2013

Ginobili says he will remain a Spur

The Associated Press
Jacksonville Daily Progress

SAN ANTONIO —

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Manu Ginobili is sticking around to see if the San Antonio Spurs can get back to the top.

Ginobili tweeted Wednesday that he is staying with the team he has helped win three NBA titles and nearly a fourth last month.

''Thrilled to announce that as I always hoped, I'm gonna stay with the (at)Spurs for two more years,'' he wrote.

Ginobili, who turns 36 this month, battled injuries during the season and said he would think about retirement after the playoffs. But he helped the Spurs come within 28 seconds of the championship before falling to the Miami Heat in seven games, and his return ensures the longtime Big Three that includes Tim Duncan and Tony Parker will be in place next season.

Details of the contract agreement weren't available, but Ginobili figures to take a pay cut from the $14.1 million he made last season as the Spurs' highest-paid player. Duncan did the same thing last summer, going from $21.2 million to $9.6 million.

Teams can reach agreements with free agents, but contracts can't be signed before July 10.