CHEROKEE COUNTY —
The bond election is designed to address certain existing problems such as Nichols Intermediate School being built for 651 students but having 723 currently enrolled. As many as 133 band students are having difficulty crowding into the band hall at its current size.
The proposed bond, if passed by voters, would cost the average Jacksonville ISD homeowner an additional $5.16 per month in property taxes. Senior homesteads should be unaffected because their taxes are frozen.
The proposed statewide amendments, according to the office of Texas Secretary of State John Steen, include:
1. Proposition 1 – (HJR 62) The constitutional amendment authorizing the legislature to provide for an exemption from ad valorem taxation of all or part of the market value of the residence homestead of the surviving spouse of a member of the armed services of the United States who is killed in action.
2. Proposition 2 – (HJR 79) The constitutional amendment eliminating an obsolete requirement for a State Medical Education Board and a State Medical Education Fund, neither of which is operational.
3. Proposition 3 – (HJR 133) The constitutional amendment to authorize a political subdivision of this state to extend the number of days that aircraft parts that are exempt from ad valorem taxation due to their location in this state for a temporary period may be located in this state for purposes of qualifying for the tax exemption.
4. Proposition 4 – (HJR 24) The constitutional amendment authorizing the legislature to provide for an exemption from ad valorem taxation of part of the market value of the residence homestead of a partially disabled veteran or the surviving spouse of a partially disabled veteran if the residence homestead was donated to the disabled veteran by a charitable organization.
5. Proposition 5 – (SJR 18) The constitutional amendment to authorize the making of a reverse mortgage loan for the purchase of homestead property and to amend lender disclosures and other requirements in connection with a reverse mortgage loan.