Daily Progress, Jacksonville, TX

Homepage

April 25, 2014

Fire damages home on Grant Street

Owner left stove unattended

JACKSONVILLE — A Jacksonville man had a harsh reminder Wednesday that it is never a good idea to leave a stove on unattended.

Just after 3 p.m., Jacksonville Fire Department responded to a residence on Grant Street where a fire was reported.

Once on the scene, officials determined that the owner had started to fry fish and realized he needed more oil. He put what he had into the pot, turned it on and left for Brookshire Brothers.

However, he was gone longer than planned when he got a flat tire on his vehicle, said Fire Chief Paul White.

“When you are cooking, you need to stay with it,” White said. “Don't do something that will cause you to lose track of time or get distracted. At least when you are in the room, you can smell it if it overheats, and you can take care of it.”

White said the kitchen and living room of the house were destroyed by the fire, and the rest of the home had smoke damage.

“It's definitely salvageable, though,” White said. “Our concern was that the fire had gotten up into the attic, but it didn't. The sheetrock held it from the attic."

It took about 20 minutes for the JFD to get the blaze under control. No injuries were reported.

White added that kitchen fires are the most common type of fire in the U.S. and are usually caused when a stove is turned on and left unattended. He said grease fires are especially dangerous.

1
Text Only
LOCAL NEWS
LOCAL SPORTS
LIVING