Root beer floats and antique cars had Senior Care Jacksonville residents reminiscing to days back when.
Linzey Lewis, activity director for the Senior Care center, said last year the event was successful and they thought they would have a repeat.
Lewis said events are planned for the residents on a daily basis and they enjoy everything from Bingo to dominoes, and on occasion, a special event is planned.
“They came for us last year and the residents seemed to really like it because it's something different, so we decided to do it again,” she said.
Charlie Glenn, former Reklaw mayor, took his 1934 Ford to share with the residents.
“I had it rebuilt from the ground up about four years ago,” he said. “I bought everything.”
Maintaing an antique car has been a hobby of Glenn's since retirement. He previously owned a 1929 Ford, a Corvette and a 1931 Ford Model A.
“I retired 22 years ago and this is just something for me to fool with to stay out of my wife's hair,” he joked.
Glenn has won several trophies showing his 1934 in car shows.
“I don't go to the car shows for the trophies,” he said. “I go for the enjoyment of meeting people. I've met so many down to earth people.”
Resident Beth Martin said it had been a long time since she had a root beer float and seeing the antique cars brought another set of memories.
“I can remember riding in one of these,” she said with a smile across her face.
Breaking News: Dead body found near Reklaw; officials investigate
Law enforcement officials are investigating after a dead body was found near Reklaw.Continued ...
- Jacksonville native promotes comedy gigs
- Buoys near 1 property stir waters
- Intestinal parasite strikes Texas
- Clardy appointed to select committee
- Breaking News: Dead body found near Reklaw; officials investigate
- LOCAL NEWS
- LOCAL SPORTS
- Fightin' Indians' new district stacked with quality
- Trio of former local prep standouts playing for top 10 D-II schools
- High school volleyballers to hit ground running Monday
- McCown says he likes direction Tampa Bay is heading in
- Prep volleyballers to return to the gym Monday