AUSTIN — Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced a lawsuit Tuesday to stop the Biden Administration's new immigration program that would expand immigration pathways for migrants from certain countries.
Earlier this month, President Joe Biden announced a series of immigration reforms. Included in that was a program by the Department of Homeland Security allowing for expanded opportunities for immigrants from Nicaragua, Cuba and Haiti with U.S.-based sponsors to enter the country legally.
The program would allow up to 30,000 individuals per month from these countries to come to the U.S. for a period of two years and receive work authorization.These individuals would need an eligible sponsor and to pass vetting and background checks, officials said. Additionally, the individual would have to remain in their home country and await approval. If they were to enter the country illegally, they would be disqualified to participate in the program.
Paxton claims the program “unlawfully creates a de facto pathway to citizenship for hundreds of thousands of aliens.”
“Every state in America, especially border states like Texas, is being crushed by the impacts of illegal immigration,” Paxton said in a statement. “This unlawful amnesty program, which will invite hundreds of thousands of aliens into the U.S. every year, will only make this immigration crisis drastically worse.”
Paxton also said the Biden Administration instituted this program without engaging in the usual notice and comment rulemaking process required by law.
This is the latest Texas-lead lawsuit against the Biden Administration. Since Biden took office in January 2021, Texas has sued the federal government at least 34 times.
“This constitutes yet another episode in which the administration has abused its executive authority in furtherance of its apparent objective for immigration policy: open borders and amnesty for all,” Paxton said.