Camp Ground Baptist Church receives in-county marker

Sunday, Aug. 25, 2019, Camp Ground Baptist Church celebrated its 120th Anniversary. The church is located Seven miles west of Alto on Highway 294 toward Elkhart. Approximately 106 people attended the festivities which featured the Southern Plainsmen Quartet from Louisiana and a Bar-b-que luncheon. Pastor Goforth, Sr. welcomed everyone and preached the message. The Cherokee County Historical Commission dedicated an in-county marker citing the history of the church which was established in 1899, at Boxes Creek, 2 1/2 miles west of its current location. Pictured left to right: Daryl Morris, Ronnie Hendrick, AJ Glaze, Nan Glaze, Pastor Jim Goforth, Sr. and Kyndall Dixon. The first four listed are descendants of the founders of he church. Kyndall is a descendant of the family who gave the land where the church is now located.