According to Cherokee County fire investigator Jack White, a space heater appears to be the source of a fire that claimed the lives of Charles and Gladys Griffin of Alto.

The deadly blaze broke out around 11:30 p.m. on Thanksgiving night inside the couple’s trailer home on Rusk Street.

Investigators said that be the time firemen arrived on the scene, the house was fully involved with the south side of the unit completely destroyed.

The couple were thought to be in the process of exiting the structure when found by firefighters.

It is unclear whether or not the home had smoke detectors.

White stated the importance of all homes having smoke alarms as a means of early detection while cautioning individuals using space heaters for warmth to make sure the heaters are kept at a safe distance from combustible materials, which include furniture, bedding,  drapes, clothing and flammable liquids.  

The blaze was said to have been reported by relatives that lived next door to the Griffins.

Recommended for you