Two Troup businesses applied for permits to sell alcohol last week, said City Administrator Jed Dillingham.

The businesses are the first to apply since the city passed two propositions May 14 allowing the sale of the sale of beer and wine for off-premise consumption and all alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption.

Brookshire’s, 506 W. Duval St., applied for a wine and beer retailer’s off-premise permit, a beer retail dealer’s off-premise permit and a package store permit.

AJ’s Place, a tobacco shop at 1109 W. Duval St., applied or a wine and beer retailer’s off-premise permit.

The Planing and Zoning Commission will have a workshop Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at Troup Library, 102 S. Georgia St., to discuss regulations for signs for businesses that will sell alcohol.

During the workshop, the commission may hear citizen input concerning business signs or other topics on the subject, said Mayor John Whitsell.

“We had some citizens who were upset with the way some things zoned on Duval Street and (Texas Highway) 110,” Whitsell said. “All of it is zoned commercial and there’s a lot of houses in there. There’s a certain group of citizens that would like to see that changed back to residential.”

According to the ordinance, businesses can only operate in commercial areas.

Before permits to sell alcohol can be approved by the city, businesses must file applications with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC).

Once filed, applications can be processing in six weeks, said Terry Hing, accounts examiner at TABC in Longview.

“On average, it takes six to eight weeks if nothing’s protested,” Hing said.

As of Monday, no businesses in Troup had filed with TABC, according to the TABC website,

Recommended for you