By Nathan Straus
The Troup City Council denied a request to place a fifth wheel travel trailer on 808 N. Jarvis St. in Troup for temporary living quarters.
The decision was made as part of the regular monthly city council meeting Tuesday.
Cheryl Jimerson, city secretary, said the request was denied because city officials believed the owner would leave the trailer there for a year or more before building on the property.
Several items on the agenda were approved over the night.
• Consider approval of the minutes of the regular meeting of July 14, 2009, and special meetings of July 2 and July 28, 2009.
• Consider authorizing the mayor to execute a continuing tax abatement policy with the Tyler Economic Development Council/Smith Co. Tax Abatement Comittee providing for negotiation and evaluation of any proposed abatements.
• Consider authorizing the mayor to execute an interlocal agreement with Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Employee Benefits Pool as participating members.
• Consider authorizing the mayor to execute an engagement letter with Acker and Company to prepare the city of Troup’s annual audit.•
• Discuss and propose the tax rate for the 2009-2010 fiscal year. If the proposed tax rate will exceed the rollback rate or the effective tax rate, there would be a record vote to schedule public hearings and approval for publication of the Notice of Public Hearings on Tax Increase. However, the tax rate proposed was $.8752, just under the rollback rate of $.87566. There will be a workshop August 18 at 6:30 pm inside the Troup Independent School District administration building.
There were no updates on the Lake Striker and Lake Columbia projects and the meeting was adjourned.
By Nathan Straus
This Week's Circulars
A Celebration of Life for Johnnie Richey, 72 of Rusk, will be 10 a.m., Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at the Rusk First United Methodist Church under the direction of Wallace-Thompson Funeral Home with Pastor TJ Gableman officiating. He passed away at home October 15, 2021. He was born April 2,…
- Cherokee County arrests for Oct. 5-11
- Two Alto residents arrested on child sexual assault charges
- Phyllis Cottle earns 50-year pin in male dominated field
- Long time Cherokee County coach Johnnie Richey dies
- Tyler nurse convicted of killing four men with air injections
- Austin St. in front of Tomato Bowl closed for special JISD event
- How Can You Say?
- Cross Country: Taylor Gutierrez repeats as 16-5A district champion
- Troup moves into Top 10 of latest #bEASTTexas Fab 15 football poll
- Texas DPS Special Agents disrupt organized drug operation tied to east Texas
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.