Several Jacksonville entities are planning meals for area residents leading up to, and on, Thanksgiving this year.
The newest initiative is Jacksonville High School's “Spaghetti Club,” in which school faculty and student body are teeming with the local Brookshire Brothers store to provide free food for students who may need assistance during JISD's Nov. 23-Dec. 1 Thanksgiving break. Goods will be distributed Thursday and Friday, Nov. 20 and Nov. 21. The local grocery store has donated all the food for the project.
• The Clothes Closet & More, a ministry helping those in crisis/emergency situations, is creating 80 food baskets – complete with turkey and all the trimmings, including dessert, Bibles, Scripture verses “and a whole lot of love,” said coordinator Mickey Gear – to be distributed from from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the 314 S. Main St. facility. The ministry is partnering again this year with Jacksonville's Peoples Church to create and distribute the food.
• Divine Destiny Church will host “Thanksgiving with Destiny,” immediately following an 11:30 a.m. service Sunday at the 1405 N. Bolton St. church in Jacksonville. There is no charge for the meal. To learn more, contact Michael or Gloria Shelby, 469-476-2209.
• Jacksonville City officials will don aprons to help serve a traditional Thanksgiving meal to those in need at The H.O.P.E. Center Kitchen, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday. There is no charge for the meal, according to H.O.P.E. officials.
• A free community Thanksgiving feast will be offered by Silvia Mae's Soul Food from 11 a.m. until noon Thursday at the 564 N. Main St. restaurant in Jacksonville. Donations and volunteer servers are welcomed. Meanwhile, local delivery may be arranged by calling Sylvia Jones at 903-658-3122 or 903-722-1854.
• On Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 28, Bowens Temple Church is hosting its annual holiday meal, with serving set to begin at noon at the 308 N. Bolton St. in Jacksonville. The church is led by the Rev. Kennie Mosley. For more information on how your organization can contribute, partner or participate in the community event, please contact Gwen Stafford at (903) 284-3416. There is no charge for the meal.