Troup city logo

Troup City Council members met Tuesday night and approved three Troup Community Development Corporation funding projects, according to City Manager Gene Cottle.

The council approved a TCDC project to provide up to $40,000 for the purchase of real property within the city of Troup.

They also gave a green light to a TCDC project to provide up to $80,000 in matching funds for a Texas Parks and Wildlife Small Communities Grant for the renovation of Patriot Park in the 200 block of South Georgia Street.

A grant application for Patriot Park was also re-approved, adding some new language in the guidelines in order to make the requirements clear for a public hearing. A public hearing was held beforehand about the application, but drew were no speakers.

Another TCDC project to provide up to $7,000 to cover the cost of removing overhead lines and poles on the south side of West Duval Street as part of the downtown revitalization also was approved.

Also on the city's agenda was to cast votes for the Board of Directors of the Cherokee County Appraisal District. Troup cast its three votes for Joe Taylor. The motion carried by a vote of 2 to 1.

A resolution for city sanitary sewer system improvements on West Duval Street was given the go-ahead, and the council also approved the October financial report and a resolution adopting the 2020 Smith County holiday schedule, excluding the administrative day and adding Columbus Day.

Also on the agenda was the sale of property at the county tax sale, which was unanimously approved.

An ordinance providing a severability clause, a repealer clause and an effective date was approved. It also removed provisions that were duplicates of regulations and rules enforced by other state and federal agencies, simplifying the previous ordinance, Cottle said.

In other business, the council approved a base bid of $324,157 from Crown Civil Construction for the Downtown Sidewalk Rehabilitation Project.

Council members also unanimously denied a rate increase request from Centerpoint Energy, and the request will now be sent to the public utilities commission, Cottle said.

Recommended for you